2015 Governor's ImPAct Award for Export
May 27, 2015
RADIUS Receives Governor's ImPAct Award for Export
KUTZTOWN, PA - May, 20115 – RADIUS has been recognized for having a significant impact on export in Southeastern Pennsylvania as part of the 3rd annual Governor’s ImPAct Awards.
Fifty companies from the Southeast region were initially selected for the export category which was then narrowed down to 12 semi-finalists. RADIUS was among 5 semi-finalists that were chosen to move on as a finalist. RADIUS was the only finalist from Berks County.
RADIUS received the ImPAct Award for Export for Southeastern Pennsylvania, which included Philadelphia and King of Prussia, because of their extraordinary sales growth internationally. RADIUS has a 50% overall annual growth with 14% of their sales stemming from export. Within the last two years, RADIUS has doubled their exporting by adding 20 new countries bringing their total export to over 40 countries worldwide.
“RADIUS is incredibly proud and honored to receive this award especially since we were being compared to the major metropolitan market of Philadelphia. RADIUS would not be here today without the assistance of the Pennsylvania Government including Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Northeastern Pennsylvania and Greater Berks Development Fund who helped us fund our first machine purchases back in 1988. Since applying for this award RADIUS has seen even greater exponential growth in its export channel and we truly believe that this is the way of the future. We believe that “made in the USA” is a true asset and the quality, uniqueness of design and craftsmanship of our products should be accessible to customers around the globe. We will continue on our mission to attain that goal,” CEO and President, Saskia Foley said.
RADIUS is a 32-year-old family-owned consumer products company. It is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of specialty toothbrushes and complimentary products, including travel cases and dental floss. RADIUS is a leader in the natural products industry in personal care and is renowned for its combination of innovative designs, premium materials, and eco-conscious manufacturing that redefines ordinary personal care products with the goal of enhancing the quality and enjoyment of everyday routines.
Today RADIUS is proud to be one of the only toothbrush manufacturers still operating in the United States that still manufacturers on its own injection molding and bristling machines. RADIUS is now completely women-owned and vertically integrated; designing, manufacturing, and inspecting all of its products by hand. RADIUS operates and manufactures in a restored feed mill in Kutztown, PA on solar powered machines. Parallel goals of promoting energy-efficient manufacturing and a focus on a clean and cutting-edge design presence sets Radius apart from the rest.
About the Governor’s ImPAct Awards
The Governor’s ImPAct Awards recognizes companies from throughout the state in 5 categories: Community Impact, Entrepreneurial Impact, Export Impact, Jobs That Pay, and Small Business Impact.
- Community ImPAct Award - This award is given to a company that exemplifies the tenet of "doing well by doing good." The winners in this category show a sustained commitment to the growth and development of their employees and the community(ies) in which they do business.
- Entrepreneur ImPAct Award - This award is given to an entrepreneur who has led his or her company to a position of strength in the marketplace by way of growth in one or all of the following areas: creativity, innovation, managerial ability, leadership skills, and turnaround.
- Export ImPAct Award - This award is given to a company that has significantly increased its export sales and the number of new foreign markets to which it sells
- Jobs That Pay ImPAct Award - This award is given to a company that has demonstrated consistent job growth and retention over the past two years. The company must have had a positive net gain in new jobs during this time period.
- Small Business ImPAct Award - This award is given to a small business that has been an innovator within its industry, demonstrated revenue/profit growth, increased its workforce, and committed to the growth and development of its employees and community. The company must have 100 or fewer employees.
RADIUS was nominated for the award by the Partnerships for Regional Economic Performance (PREP) network. Each of the 10 PREP regions submitted up to five nominations per category.
PREP is a statewide network of partners that works to regionalize and coordinate local economic development services to businesses and entrepreneurs.
Representatives from the Team Pennsylvania Foundation and Journal Multimedia selected the award recipients.
Awards were presented at a ceremony at the Hershey Lodge in Hershey, Pa. on May 21, 2015.